Campus Security Authorities (CSAs)

Who are CSAs?

The Clery Act designates the following individuals as Campus Security Authorities (CSA):

  • Members of an institution’s campus police or campus security department.
  • Any individuals who are responsible for campus security but who do not constitute a campus police department or a campus security department.
  • Any individual or organization specified in an institution’s statement of campus security policy as an individual to which students and employees should report criminal offenses.
  • An official of an institution who has significant responsibility for student and campus activities, including but not limited to, student housing, student discipline and campus judicial proceedings. 
    • An official is defined as any person who has the authority and duty to take action or respond to a particular issue on behalf of the institution.

What are the obligations of a CSA?

If you are a Michigan State University CSA and are made aware of an alleged Clery Act crime, you must report that information to the MSU Department of Police and Public Safety (MSU DPPS). If you are unsure whether the incident is reportable under the Clery Act, please contact MSU DPPS as soon as possible and report it.

  • MSU DPPS: (517) 355-2221 (non-emergency) or 911 (emergency)
  • For Education Abroad programs, report any crimes that occur during your program as soon as possible to the Office of Global Health, Safety, and Security:
    • Urgent: call the MSU 24/7 International Emergency Assistance Line at 1-517-353-3784
    • Not urgent: email as soon as possible

CSAs are NOT responsible for investigating or reporting incidents that they overhear students talking about in a hallway conversation; that a classmate or student mentions during an in-class discussion; that a victim mentions during a speech, workshop, or any other form of group presentation; or that the CSA otherwise learns about in an indirect manner.